Thursday 22 November 2012

No Ifs, No Buts, No Education Cuts!

So yesterday, Wednesday 21.11.12, saw thousands of students from all over the country take to the streets and show the Government they won’t just sit back and take what’s being thrown at them.

It was a brilliant day, one I thoroughly enjoyed. The atmosphere was amazing, especially as you walked under the tunnels, though at those points hearing anything other than horns or '”whoooo” was very difficult. And the weather was not going to put anyone off, nor the early starts.
My favourite photos? Here:

(Not all of these are what some might call “photographically correct” however they do show how fast paced a lot of it was and I suppose the style of the event, it was a protest after all)

IMG_4825   
It made sense to start with a sign that matched my title.
IMG_4835   
Wooden spoons and metal bowls were used to make even more noise!
IMG_4846   
MidKent College Students Union were out in force with several officers and students carrying placards. 
IMG_4849   
A slightly underexposed photo of one of the many homemade signs were out and about throughout the march.
IMG_4859   
Again, more extra noise. This time so fast my camera caught the motion.
IMG_4866   
Many placards were left discarded as the march progressed, getting wet in the rain and trampled all over.
IMG_4873   
NUS were readily prepared with plenty of placards, a lovely photo opportunity for me.
IMG_4904   
Another placard sums up the discontent with the two-party system in the UK.
IMG_4906   
As you can see there were plenty of police present at the Demo, to be sure all was safe and well.
IMG_4910   
Throughout the march people with megaphones were encouraging a variety of chants.
IMG_4931   
At one point during the march a small group did try to break away from the route as you can see here, however they weren’t successful – thankfully.
IMG_4943   
Now this is my all time favourite photo from the Demo. I absolutely love this shot.
IMG_4956   
And sticking with favourites, this was my absolute favourite sign at the Demo.
IMG_5035   
Slightly underexposed sadly.
IMG_5043
The Birmingham Guild of Students made sure they were seen with a HUGE banner. I love the depth of field in this shot, concentrating on the students marching.
IMG_5057 
It was parliament that caused a lot of debate around the Demo as we turned left when most wanted to go right.
IMG_5059   
A Student Officer en route.
IMG_5063   
Many of those marching were stopped and interviewed for different news sources throughout the March as the media covered the protest.
IMG_5066
IMG_5180
The rain wasn’t enough to put everyone off, and despite this being underexposed I love it.
IMG_5243   
PCSOs were in Kennington Park watching students in, here stood on the bottom of a statue (just like me taking the shot) to be able to see over.
IMG_5357   
Sadly towards the end some of the protestors decide to take over the stage pushing through and jumping the barriers. In my opinion they simply made a fool of themselves, they barely achieved anything. And by this point my camera was too cold and wet to focus fully but I don’t think it matters here. Wow, what a ‘caption’.
IMG_5364 
And this is the state we left the park in, lush.
On another non-protesty note, I’m a bit behind in Blogging due to lack of laptop at the moment, so I have plenty more photos coming up shortly!