Sunday 20 January 2013

Have You Ever Heard of Ragnar Axelsson?

No? Well he’s a photojournalist who works in Iceland and somebody whose work I adore. In fact, I’d love to be able to buy his book one day, sadly I’m just really poor until then.

Anyway, with all this snow that’s been lying around the past few days, I’ve been looking again at his work, it is wonderful.

 It’s the composition of his images that gets me the most. A lot of his work he features the subject in a corner, or on it’s own in the middle of the frame, meanwhile the rest of the shot is bare, pure white or so fresh and overexposed that no detail is visible. But it is never boring. The contrast is always high, so the topic does clearly stand out.

 My favourite photo of his is this one, the Husky barking. The shot makes the animal look quite vicious yet this is unlikely as husky dogs are supposed to have very friendly and protective personalities (I think).

However, if I were you, I’d check out his website. Well worth a proper look.